My main occupation is research in high-level, general (domain independent, autonomous) Artificial Intelligence – "Adaptive A.I. Inc."
I believe that integrating insights from the following areas of cognitive science are crucial for rapid progress in this field:
- Philosophy/ epistemology - understanding the true nature of knowledge
- Cognitive psychology (incl. developmental & psychometric) for analysis of cognition - and especially - general conceptual intelligence.
- Computer science - self-modifying systems, combining new connectionist pattern manipulation techniques with 'traditional' AI engineering.
Anyone who shares my passion - and/ or concerns - for this field is welcome to contact me for brainstorming and possible collaboration.
My other big passion is for exploring what I call Optimal Living: Maximizing both the quantity & quality of life. I see personal responsibility and optimizing knowledge acquisition as key. Specific interests include:
- Rationality, as a means for knowledge. I'm largely sympathetic to the philosophy of Objectivism, and have done quite a bit of work on developing a rational approach to (personal & social) ethics.
- Health (quality): physical, financial, cognitive, and emotional (passions, meaningful relationships, appreciation of art, etc.). Psychology: IQ & EQ.
- Longevity (quantity): general research, CRON (calorie restriction), cryonics
- Environment: economic, social, political systems conducive to Optimal Living.
These interests logically lead to an interest in Futurism , in technology for improving life - overcoming limits to personal growth & improvement. The transhumanist philosophy of Extropianism best embodies this quest. Specific technologies that seem to hold most promise include AI, Nanotechnology, & various health & longevity approaches mentioned above.
I always enjoy meeting new people to explore ideas, and to have my views critiqued. To this end I am involved in a number of discussion groups and salons (e.g. 'Kifune' futurist dinner/discussion group). Along the way I'm trying to develop and learn the complex art of constructive dialog.